Sector: Criminal Justice
Consultant: Jim Garwood
Job Status: Permanent / Full Time
AREAS OF WORK – as required by the Partners from the following list – which is not exhaustive.
Contract and Tort Disputes
General Contentious Work
Landlord and Tenant
- Taking client’s instructions at interview, by telephone and in writing.
- Advising as to Law and Procedure, Merits and Quantum.
- Writing letters.
- Drafting documents including pleadings, Court forms, Instructions/Brief to Counsel, Witness Statements, Legal Aid forms when appropriate and attendance notes.
- Perusing documents and incoming post.
- Attending Courts and Tribunals (including Advocacy) attending Counsel in conference and by telephone.
- Instructing Experts.
- Interviewing witnesses.
- Researching Law and Procedure
- Making and receiving telephone calls.
- Applying for Legal Aid and dealing with the associated administration when appropriate.
- Attending Departments and Fee Earner meetings.
- Time recording on all cases.
- Preparing bills in private cases and Legal Aid Cases up to £1,000. Credit Control in private cases.
- Admin/clerical work when necessary to progress cases/assist form.
- Attract business and therefore increase workload for self ad other Fee Earners.
- To manage and develop their secretary and any other staff who assist them.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Ability to advise converse with clients, witnesses, opponents etc. and understand clients’ needs.
- Ability to advise in a clear concise and yet friendly manner
- Possess an understanding of professional ethics and conduct including rules as to confidentiality and compliance with solicitor’s accounts rules
- Pleasant personality, self-confident and diplomatic
- Good drafting skills and command of the English Language including spelling and grammar
- Good punctuality
- Good ability in letter writing, interviewing techniques, telephone skills and research
- Ability to manage own time well, including meeting deadlines and prioritising work
- Efficient and prompt completion of matters
- Good knowledge of the litigation procedures, office systems, office machinery and own limitations
- The Law in practice, commercial considerations and dealing with clients.
- Basic Human Resource Management
The appointed Solicitor should have over 5 years post qualification experience and be working as a Lawyer managing a litigation caseload in a law firm or legal environment, and be looking for a position offering excellent training, support for personal development, and long-term career stability and progression.