Sector: Criminal Justice
Consultant: Jim Garwood
Salary: £33000 - £40000
Job Status: Permanent / Full Time
Current NMC or GPhC registration required
Newly Qualified NMP’s are welcome to apply
Main purpose of the role:
As directed by the NMP Lead, Assistant Medical Director and the Service’s Medical Lead, the post-holder will be an integral member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-agency team delivering recovery orientated alcohol and drug intervention services. The role holder will:
- Offer care for presenting clients;
- Initiate prescribing of and/or make amendments to prescriptions of opiate and/or alcoholsubstitute treatments and other related medications;
- Take a lead role in developing the prescribing clinic, acting as a point of contact for otherworkers and partner agencies around prescribing issues.
1. Assess, diagnose, plan; implement and evaluate treatment/interventions and care for service users.
2. Clinically assess service user needs and plan clinical care accordingly.
3. Diagnose and manage on an individual needs basis, integrating both drug and non-drug based treatment methods into a management plan, in conjunction with the Recovery Coordinator.
4. Identify and assess suitability of service users for in-patient alcohol and opioid detoxification as appropriate.
5. Proactively review and manage clinical treatment plans of the service user.
6. Prescribe and review medication for therapeutic effectiveness appropriate to service user needs and in accordance with evidence-based practice and national and local protocols, and within scope of practice.
7. Work with service users to support concordance to prescribed treatments.
8. Provide information and advice on prescribed, illicit and over-the-counter medication, including side-effects and interactions.
9. Prioritise health problems and intervene appropriately to assist the service user in complex, urgent or emergency situations seeking immediate advice and direction from the Clinical Lead if needed.
10. Assess, identify and refer patients presenting with mental health needs.
11. Assess, update and refer service users for BBV vaccination and immunisation programmes. Support service users to adopt health promotion strategies that promote healthy lifestyles.
Abilities and skills
1. Can demonstrate competence to undertake physical examinations relevant to their prescribing role.
2. Demonstrate skills to undertake administrative duties.
3 Clinical auditing skills to inform evaluation of the service and identify areas for development.
4 Ability to communicate confidently and effectively, verbally and in writing.
5 Full driving licence and access to own transport, or ability to demonstrate easy movement between services, if necessary.
6 Knowledge of local services and geography.