Sector: Criminal Justice
Consultant: Jim Garwood
Salary: £24000 - £29000
Job Status: Permanent / Full Time
To provide nursing care for patients accessing specialist substance misuse services in HMPs to include treatment, harm reduction, BBV testing, screening and patient education.
All interventions delivered must be recovery focused, integrated, and effective and delivered to a high standard.
Qualifications & Training
- UK Registered Nurse
- Diploma level or equivalent
- Evidence of Continued Professional Development
- RCGP level 1 or willingness to work towards qualification
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to maintain and monitor high standards of care inclusive of medically assisted recovery as well as a wide range of psycho social interventions. Utilising knowledge of appropriate recovery models.
- Effective organisational skills
- The ability to work in a changing, demanding and stressful situation
- Ability to work in a team
- IT systems skills
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to high standards of service.
- An ability to manage potentially challenging behaviour.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with the ability to demonstrate fluency, clarity and effectiveness at all levels, including the development of sound therapeutic relationships.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to make judgements involving complicated situations, patient assessments and discharge.
- Experience and understanding of working in a custodial setting.
- Actively participate in service promotion, linking in with local communities and other recovery resources.
Experience & Knowledge
- Knowledge of substance misuse.
- Understanding of the roles, values, procedures and standards of working in a prison environment
- Evidence of experience in embracing and implementing change to provide high quality health outcome
- Understanding of resource management, Risk and Safety, Quality and Governance issues.
- Experience in dispensing and administration of controlled drugs.
- Experience and knowledge of ordering and maintaining controlled drug stock
- Experience working with and managing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Understanding of resource management, risk assessments, health and safety and quality and governance issues and recognised national best practice (including the ‘Orange Book’, and Nice Guidelines)
- Demonstrates ability to use audit and improve quality.
- Understanding and experience of the harmful effects of substance misuse on social health and well being, inclusive of BBV’s