Delivery Operations and Support Engineer
Team: Technology, Service and Operations
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
Job role/Grade: TMC3
Reports to (role): Operations Manager
In Network Operations we monitor and manage our dynamic networks and services, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This includes our UK and global transmission networks, our UK core IP networks that serve our customers who use broadband, Ethernet and MEAS (mobile Ethernet access service – used by all UK mobile networks). We manage the company’s internet peering connections and services, Europe’s largest Wi-Fi network, the power and environmental services at all of our exchanges, as well as all of the internal IP networks serving our staff and buildings around the globe.
We assure service to identify and deal with any problems before they impact service where possible. Where this is not possible, we react to failures that do occur, ensuring we communicate to our customers and stakeholders quickly, accurately and effectively, as well as ensure we get service restored for our customers as quickly as possible. For Ethernet, MEAS and private circuit customers (e.g. large businesses, mobile network providers, and other telecoms operators) we carry out diagnostic and repair activities on these specialist services. We do all of this to ensure our customers get a brilliant service experience today and in the future.
Most of the Dynamic Network Operations team carry out the day to day operational activities, working shifts, around the clock, in our state-of-the-art operations centre in Ipswich. We work closely with other teams, including field engineers, our customer facing units as well as other Dynamic Networks teams (such as design, technical services, etc.) and with our key external suppliers and equipment providers.
Why this role matters
This role is working as a part of the Dynamic Network Operations team to help our business deliver stand out service & excellent customer experience. The company and our customers rely on our team to keep their services providing a great experience to customers, 24 hours a day, every day. In order to keep improving, we need new perspectives, new ideas and a passion for customer experience.
What I should expect
- Working across our different front line operational & service teams to gain an understanding of our networks and services by using our tools & systems
- Working with our Field Engineering partners, vendors & communicating to stakeholders & customer in real-time to restore service
- Experience daily service incidents & operational requirements ensuring the surveillance, maintenance & restoration of service and follow through of all supporting activities
- An insight into how a large operational unit works and the responsibilities we have
What I need to carry out the role
- Strong team working skills
- Willingness to listen and learn, as well as to share ideas and experiences
- Focusing on the customer and customer experience
- Asking constructive and challenging questions to improve the way things are done
- Imaginative ideas and creative solutions
- Role model our values and capabilities to other team members.
- Proactively identify technical and process development areas within the team and take ownership to deliver or arrange the appropriate training to allow upskilling within the wider team.
- Proactively coach others by sharing knowledge and best practice.
- Take responsibility for ensuring an appropriate handover between teams is documented on the agreed systems to reduce risk to service.
- Understand prioritisation within the work stack and controlling work allocation to team members to ensure all work is progressed with agreed SLA’s (service level agreements).
- Monitor and configure our network and services to protect the integrity, provide high quality services that meet or exceed customer expectations
- Proactively utilise and monitor appropriate Operational Support System to highlight, diagnose and resolve service/platform issues
- Progress and own calls or issues received from customers, suppliers and our MFU’s, taking action ensuring correct feedback and resolution procedure are conducted
- Cross reference all network issues or service delay events with the incident criteria and raise a network incident via the appropriate Operational Support System (OSS)
- Monitor and manage performance against team and network Key Performance Indicator’s (KPI’s) and Service Level Agreement’s (SLA’s) targets relating to all provision or incidents
- Engage and collaborate with other levels of support inside and outside of the company to ensure correct feedback for provisioning and resolution of issues
- Responsible for a quality handover when transferring ownership to ensure mutual understanding of all ongoing network incidents or service events
- Actively contribute to supporting and driving of projects, attending calls and responding to emails.
- Responsible for ensuring all quality detailed notes and updates are documented on the agreed system to reduce risk to service
- Proactively identifies development areas and coaching and developing peers to increase skills
- Excellent communication skills to be used to interact with customers, peers and managers, including senior managers and external vendors.
- Take ownership of all team guidance and knowledge documentation is reviewed and updated on a regular basis to ensure they represent best practice, are fit for purpose and are shared with the wider team.
- Progress personal learning and development and career planning.
Key / unique made by this role decisions
- Decide when to raise notification to key stakeholder management
- Decide urgency of request from the next technical level support based on categorisation rules
- Decide when to declare Major Service Outage’s in conjunction with National Incident Criteria
- Decide technical operational concurrence/sign off for network, service and customer changes within their area of expertise on major our core platforms
- Dealing with complex service provision or restoration issues using known work arounds where appropriate.
- Use strong problem-solving capability to progress or resolve issues using logical diagnostic processes to make decisions in real time to drive service restoration and identifying the root cause of a customer affecting fault.
- Proactively managing and owning problems
- Assess whether follow up action needs to be taken by technical fix or problem management groups and support this process where necessary
- Work collaboratively across teams and LOBs to resolve issues
- Coaching matrixed team members to progress and resolve complex issues within technical domain
- Use data and trends to proactively drive service improvements
- Drive team activities to generate ideas and recommend changes to speed up and simplify processes and ways of working affecting an end to end process.
- Take ownership of improvements and demonstrate actions taken to drive, progress and complete.
- Decide on progressing improvements to completion within control of team i.e. not impacting upstream or downstream teams
- Using continuous improvement tools and techniques to help with change
- Work with everyone both inside & outside the team to help improve how we deliver service.
- Take responsibility to seek collaboration agreement where improvements impact wider teams
- Govern planned work requests on networks/configuration changes
- Carry out health checks to ensure stability of the network prior to Planned Engineering Works or Standard Changes being authorised.
- Suggest/implement changes to process/procedure on area of expertise
Measure of success
- Service KPIs (key performance indicators) within area of technical responsibility and influence
- Must comply with local process structures and will be measured against locally agreed KPIs
- PDP Training and learning, mandatory training compliance
- Improved customer satisfaction, efficiency of process and use of equipment successful resolution of issues- RFT (right first time)
- Decisions are taken in real time and results can be seen immediately
- For complex delivery of resolution that cannot be completed within timeframe – responsible for owning and informing the relevant customers and stakeholders.
- Customer is kept informed by providing timely and quality updates (system notes and KCI’s) & take ownership: you plan next steps to resolve and own until completion.