Whether it’s the chance to give people back their smile or the excellent salary, dentistry is becoming an increasingly popular career choice for students with an interest in medicine and science.
If you’re looking at studying dentistry in 2018, here’s the lowdown on how to apply and where you’ll get the best training.
Is a degree in dentistry right for me?
Like medicine, dentistry is a demanding field of study. You’ll need to demonstrate that you have both the intelligence and tenacity to make it through the challenging five year course as well as, of course, the correct grades. For the best dentistry courses in the country, entry will be competitive; expect to be asked to achieve AAA at A-Level (including Chemistry and Biology), 37 points for the International Baccalaureate, or an IELTS grade of 7.0 overall.
How do I apply?
Most course places will be allocated via the usual UCAS methods, however the best courses will most likely require an interview and sometimes the UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test, which can be taken online or at your local test centre.
Where should I apply?
Remember that choosing your place of study should come down to a range of different factors, such as where you feel you’ll be most happy, not just which courses are listed as the best. You also need to consider which courses will leave you best prepared to apply for the dentistry jobs of your dreams upon completion. However if you’re looking for the top dentistry courses on the UK, these are some of the highest rated:
- King’s College London – One of the oldest universities in the UK, King’s is renowned for its prestigious background in medicine. It’s Dental School is one of the biggest in the country and offers students additional support and training alongside the standard Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
- Queen’s University, Belfast – This Russell Group University ranks on many top university lists, including most international and one of the leading universities addressing representation of women in STEM subjects. The university’s exclusive dentistry course gives students the option to achieve a BSc with an additional year of study.
- University of Birmingham – One of the country’s original red brick institutions, Birmingham is renowned for its medical research. Dental students at Birmingham enjoy a large part of their time studying in the university’s brand new dental hospital as well as being given the opportunity to study abroad.
- Queen Mary University of London – Dating back to 1785, this prestigious university is known for its international reputation and dedicated School of Dentistry, which recently moved into a brand new ultra-modern premises.
- University of Dundee – One of the most renowned dental courses in the UK, Dundee boasts one of the highest student satisfaction and graduate employment ratings – second only to Oxbridge for its average graduate starting salary. Dentistry students at Dundee are offered plenty of opportunity to travel, with options to study abroad and work experience in local outreach centres.
Looking for confidential dentistry career advice? Get in touch with one of our experienced consultants today for an informal chat.