Job Reference: OS294
Student Support Adviser
- London, Greater London
- £13.2 - £19.95 per hour
- Temporary / Full Time
Seven Education has an oppurtunity available for a Student Support Adviser in the Merton, London area.
The post holder will be required to provide comprehensive and flexible support, information, advice and guidance to learners to improve their likelihood of successful completion of their programme and progression into further education, training and/or employment.
The post holder will work in close liaison with students, staff and external organisations to safeguard students and support them in achieving their full potential by offering holistic support, which is tailored to their needs. In addition, the post holder will be required to provide and support the provision of a range of activities to engage learners within the wider community of college life and the preparation for life in society.
Main Purposes and Responsibilities
The main purpose of the role is to:
- Provide 1:1 support to a caseload of learners at risk of not completing their programme to re-engage learners with their studies and/or sign post them to other support services.
- Be part of the colleges Safeguarding Team, to carry out the role of Safeguarding Officer to take appropriate and timely action to safeguard students, providing a consistent and professional service. Identify and report Safeguarding concerns, using the College’s internal and external procedures and provide ongoing support to a caseload of students identified as at risk under the supervision of the Student Support coordinator and Head of Student Support Services
- Attend Child Protection or Child in Need case conferences as appropriate
- Carry out risk assessments, including mental health and criminal conviction assessments and produce support plans to minimise risk, in conjunction with curriculum/ external agencies/parents’ carers.
- Provide a range of information, support, advice and guidance and referral services to learners around issues, such as careers, progression opportunities, benefits, homelessness, childcare, sexual health and substance misuse etc.
- To work with tutors and progress coaches to identify those learners who are most ‘at risk’ of leaving their programme early and not achieving.
- To identify and work with a caseload of learners in conjunction with tutors, progress coaches and external agencies to monitor learner’s progress to ensure their retention and achievement. This may be through multi-agency strategies, referrals and 1-1 intervention managing and offering intensive support.
- Lead, supervise and support a range of cross college enrichment activities including opportunities to promote community action projects to tutors for their learners.
- Provide additional targeted support to a group/s of learners in terms of their attendance and punctuality.
- Work collaboratively with progress coaches to deliver a range of targeted workshops, including safeguarding to tutor groups in order to keep them safe and raise awareness of issues that can affect young people today
- Work collaboratively with progress coaches to develop initiatives as required to effectively meet the needs of identified ‘at risk’ students.
- Engage with learners within social spaces including the Common Room, Reception, the Canteen etc.
- Support the further development of the cross-College Learner Voice initiatives.
- Maintain administer and compile, accurate case notes and interventions relating to learners and provide data in order to monitor student progress, achievement and outcomes
- Proactively promote the work of the service to tutors and learners.
- Contribute to the development of the Student Support Service.
- Undertake additional training as required.
- Qualified to Level 4 or above IAG qualification, or in an appropriate area e.g youth and community, education, psychology, sociology, health and social care. Or be willing to work towards.
- Minimum 3 years proven experience working with vulnerable young people, using successful strategies with learners who are disengaged or disaffected in order to re-engage them with education or training or prevent them from dropping out of education.
- Strong IT skills to effectively market and record all service provision using applications such as: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, College intranet/website, Social media outlets, Pro-monitor/EBS as well as a willingness to undertake further training in the use of College software.
- Proven experience of working in a safeguarding capacity with young people and be able to demonstrate knowledge of safeguarding legislations and practices, in education.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of Post 16 education services and the issues that transition from pre to post-16 education may have for young people or those have been out of formal education for a while.
- Demonstrate ability and have experience of delivering student workshops or tutorials to a diverse range of students.
- Experience of leading on the planning and delivery of enrichment activities and events to support and enhance the student experience.
- Experience of carrying out interviews, reviews and producing risk assessments and support plans.
- Demonstrate you can work independently and in a team and have the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines whilst working in a pressured environment to successfully manage workload.
Working with Seven Education:
Established in 2011, Seven Education is a leading provider of teachers to private and public schools across the UK. We provide both temporary and permanent solutions, working with teachers and lecturers covering KS1, all the way up to KS5 and beyond.
Seven Education is the recruitment service that guarantees experienced, qualified, and available teaching staff exactly when you need them. Our expert talent acquisition team seamlessly connect professionals to all areas of teaching; including Lecturers, Head Teachers, Assistant Head Teachers, Secondary School, Primary School, Teaching Assistants, and everything in between.
After being shortlisted for multiple awards in 2022, we are proud of our nationwide reputation for providing a world-class recruitment service that is underpinned by honesty, integrity, and attention to detail.