Job Reference: 57893
Democratic Services Officer
- Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- £17 - £19.47 per hour
- Temporary / Full Time
Seven Resourcing is looking for a Democratic Service Officer.
Initial 3 months with the onlook of extension.
£17 – £19.41 per hour umbrella before tax and national insurance.
This will be a key role within the Council’s governance arrangements to ensure that we work effectively to consistently high standards within constitutional and legal frameworks. We are currently in the process of implementing our new cabinet system, following a change in governance arrangements from 13 May 2022. We are therefore looking for a temporary Democratic Services Officer to cover existing duties around some of our existing committees and new scrutiny committees. Ideally we are looking for somebody with experience of both a Governance Officer role and a Scrutiny Officer role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To represent the Chief Executive as the proper officer with regard to advice and attendance at committees and other meetings for the Authority and be responsible for the governance arrangements for a number of designated committees which are complex in nature
2. To act as scrutiny officer at meetings of Overview Committee or the scrutiny select committees.
3. To fulfil the role of scrutiny officer in relation to health scrutiny including; research, scoping and conducting projects and reviews and presenting reports requiring liaison with senior NHS staff.
4. To take a lead role for committees, sub-committees, working parties undertaking reviews/scrutiny or similar work and supporting councillors in fulfilling their democratic role.
– Highly developed interpersonal skills
– A committed team player with a flexible, helpful and proactive approach
– Evidence of the ability to adapt and innovate at pace
– High levels of IT literacy including proficiency with MS Word, Email, Committee Management Systems, Education appeals systems and experience of arranging , clerking and broadcasting meetings virtually via an online platform.
– Competitive salary
– Friendly, welcoming team atmosphere
– Flexible working arrangements from both home and office
– Daytime committee meetings
– Local government Pension Scheme
– Qualifications: 1. Educated to degree level standard or equivalent experience.
2. Detailed knowledge and understanding of the framework in which Local Authorities operate and of the key issues facing local government, including budgetary issues.
3. Good understanding of interpreting Council constitutions and complex information and experience of giving advice with regard to governance of meetings and conduct of elected members.
4. A good understanding of the roles and responsibilities of councillors, including any development issues.
5. Up to date knowledge of IT systems used by the Council including Microsoft Office
– Experience: Political awareness and problem-solving skills with an ability to identify potential issues early, sensitively manage relationships at the political interface and work well with both senior elected members and chief officers
Scrutiny officer experience, including scoping and writing up reviews (ideally with some Health Scrutiny experience)
– Compliance: Up to date Right to work in the UK.
– Travel: Clean UK driving license with the ability to commute to and from work independently.
– Hours: 37.5 hours p/w.
Working with Seven Social Care:
We have been helping social care professionals find exciting new roles for almost a decade, so we know exactly where to look when it comes to sourcing the best opportunities. We operate across the UK, and, with over 300 five-star reviews, multiple awards and amazing relationships with the biggest employers in UK social care, we give you the best chance of landing your next role.
We have a reputation for recruiting at lightning speed, however, we can only respond to candidates who meet the exact requirements of the position. If you have any queries about a role or application, please visit our website where our amazing candidate support team will be more than happy to help.