Job Reference: 59806
Exempt Accommodation Officer
- Birmingham, West Midlands
- £15.9 - £15.9 per hour
- Temporary / Full Time
Seven Social Care is working with Birmingham City Council to recruit an Exempt Accommodation Officer for their Housing Division.
£15.90 per hour.
Initial 3 month contract.
1.1 To undertake the agreed procedure for licensing Houses in Multiple Occupation
1.2 To visit properties to determine whether the property is a HMO and to investigate
allegations of a property being an unlicensed HMO.
1.3 To assist in the enforcement of the relevant standards relating to HMOs.
1.4 To act as a witness in any Court proceedings or Tribunal
2.1 To give advice to the tenants, landlords and agents on the Licensing process.
2.2 To operate the Council’s agreed HMO Licensing procedure.
2.3 To determine the correct category of HMO, and assess the appropriate licence conditions associated with the size and layout of the property.
2.4 To ensure compliance with all aspects of the agreed procedures.
2.5 To inspect HMOs using the approved forms under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.
2.6 To prepare letters and Notices to require works under the legislation that is relevant to HMO Licensing, the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations.
2.7 Responsible for the thorough investigation of possible breaches of HMO licensing, including interviewing of the parties, determining whether an offence has occurred, and producing a report for consideration relating to possible legal proceedings.
2.8 To deal with all appropriate aspects of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, including the conduct of interviews under caution.
2.9 To compile and submit responses to appeals to the Residential Property Tribunal (RPT), and appeals to the RPT for Rent Repayment Orders.
2.10 Act as the Directorate’s representative in Court actions brought under the legislation listed above.
2.11 Assist in the development of revised procedures following changes in policy and or legislation affecting the Private Rented Sector and apply these to the Department’s agreed procedures.
2.12 The provision of monitoring data as required, generate and participate in
corporate/working groups, particularly those involved in the Private Rented Sector.
2.13 To carry out any other duty which may be considered ancillary to any of the
functions for which the post holder is responsible. All duties are to be undertaken in accordance with the Department’s Customer Care and Equal Opportunities Polices.
- Qualifications: Knowledge of Housing Legislation and the policies and procedures relating to the
Private Rented Sector, including the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation.
- Experience: 1. Demonstrate excellent communication skills (oral and written) at all levels including with colleagues, external agencies, and other customers and/or Landlords. AF/I
2. Ability to take minutes, write grammatically correct correspondence and standard reports for a variety of purposes. AF/I
3. Possess good IT skills including the use of MS based windows software, and be able to input and interpret information from a range of computer packages. AF/I
4. Ability to listen and talk to customers, to understand their problems and queries and take appropriate action AF/I
5. Ability to organise and co-ordinate your work to meet targets and deadlines. AF/I
4. Ability to undertake or lead on a range of general tasks or processes to meet the needs of the business unit. AF/I
6. To understand the requirement of and be committed to equal opportunities in all aspects of the role. AF/I
7. The ability to prioritise your own workload and that of the team in order to meet pre-set deadlines.
- Compliance: Up to date Passport and DBS
- Travel: Clean UK driving license with the ability to commute to and from work independently.
- Hours: 37 hours p/w.
Working with Seven Social Care:
We have been helping social care professionals find exciting new roles for almost a decade, so we know exactly where to look when it comes to sourcing the best opportunities. We operate across the UK, and, with over 300 five-star reviews, multiple awards and amazing relationships with the biggest employers in UK social care, we give you the best chance of landing your next role.
We have a reputation for recruiting at lightning speed, however, we can only respond to candidates who meet the exact requirements of the position. If you have any queries about a role or application, please visit our website where our amazing candidate support team will be more than happy to help.