Job Reference: 61218
Home Improvement Officer
- Coventry, West Midlands
- £15.26 - £15.26 per hour
- Temporary / Full Time
Seven Resourcing is working with Coventry City Council to recruit a Home Improvement Officer for their service at the Opal Centre.
Job Title: Home Improvement Officer
Location: The Opal Centre (Coventry)
Pay Rate: £15.26
Enhanced DBS check
The Disabled Facilities Grant (hereafter DFG) is a mandatory government grant awarded to local authorities. Its purpose is to enable the Authority to make adaptations to a disabled person’s home so that they can be safer and more independent in their chosen home environment. Occupational Therapists (OTs) undertake assessments of the client and recommend to the Adaptations department what would achieve this goal for the client. The Home Improvement Officer* (HIO) role is to visit clients in their home, prepare plans of the proposed adaptation, and follow the construction through to completion.
Provide advice to enquirers concerning the availability or otherwise of Disabled Facilities Grants and the works required to adapt dwellings to meet clients’ needs in the most economical way in accordance with relevant legislation.
2. Carry out property inspections in line with current legislation and advise clients on availability or otherwise of assistance with funding repairs
3. Visit disabled persons in their own homes to complete application forms and carry out means tests and surveys.
4. Prepare plans and schedules of work for approval by occupational therapists and service users (and planning and building control, where applicable).
5. Liaise on operational and technical issues with other Council departments and outside bodies.
6. Cost estimates, including setting fixed prices on smaller jobs. Negotiate with contractors where necessary
7. Meet with contractors and service users to discuss plans for adaptations, and site visits to discuss start dates and works to be carried out.
8. Prepare grant approvals, agree alterations, additional and unforeseen works and inspect work for payment requests.
9. Monitor the progress of each case, ensuring that clients are kept involved throughout the process and resolve problems that may arise to ensure a quality service is provided.
10. Ensure the maintenance of building standards and compliance with established procedures.
11. Organise a balanced programme of work and prioritise workload to ensure the team’s objectives and targets are met, including effective service delivery.
12. Provide support and advice to other officers in the team including updates on technical matters.
The post holder must comply with Coventry City Council’s health and safety policy and in particular is required:
· To take reasonable care for their own health and safety at work and of those who may be affected by their actions or by their omissions
· To cooperate with their line manager and senior management, to work safely, to comply with health and safety instructions and information and undertake appropriate health and safety training as required
· Not to intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health, safety and welfare
· To report to their manager any health and safety concerns, hazardous condition or defect in the health and safety arrangements.
Any further Health and Safety responsibilities relevant to this post will be set out in the offer letter and Written Statement of Particulars
The post holder must comply with the Interagency procedures of the Safeguarding Boards and Coventry City Council’s policies for safeguarding children and safeguarding adults and in particular is required:-
· To ensure they are aware of the signs that may suggest a child or vulnerable adult is being abused or neglected
· To report to their manager, or other appropriate manager, any concerns they may have that suggest that a child or vulnerable adult may be being abused or neglected immediately
Any further Safeguarding Board responsibilities relevant to this post will be set out in the offer letter and Written Statement of Particulars
Post holders will be accountable for carrying out all duties and responsibilities with due regard to the City Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Duties which include processing of any personal data must be undertaken within the corporate data protection guidelines.
- None specific, but a background in preparing working drawings / technical drawings / using CAD and knowledge of building specifications would be advantageous.
Experience: None specific, but a background in preparing working drawings / technical drawings / using CAD and knowledge of building specifications would be advantageous.
Compliance: Up to date Passport and DBS.
Travel: Clean UK driving license with the ability to commute to and from work independently.
Hours: 37 hours p/w.
Working with Seven Social Care:
We have been helping social care professionals find exciting new roles for almost a decade, so we know exactly where to look when it comes to sourcing the best opportunities. We operate across the UK, and, with over 300 five-star reviews, multiple awards and amazing relationships with the biggest employers in UK social care, we give you the best chance of landing your next role.
We have a reputation for recruiting at lightning speed, however, we can only respond to candidates who meet the exact requirements of the position. If you have any queries about a role or application, please visit our website where our amazing candidate support team will be more than happy to help.