Sector: Life Sciences
Consultant: Harvey Havell
Salary: £50000 - £60000
Job Status: Temporary / Full Time
JOB TITLE: Programme Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: Milton Keynes
RENUMERATION: Dependant of experience, up to £60k.
CONTRACT LENGTH: 6-9 months (with possible extensions or permanent position)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Programme Manager is responsible for creating, implementing and overseeing the Project Management Framework and delivery of the Project portfolio. You will ensure appropriate planning, implementing, delivery, closure and documentation of all projects is carried out to agreed standards. You will lead and chair the Project Management Group and are responsible for ensuring projects are delivered to agreed timeframes and budgets. A key component of this role will be to develop the current Project Management Group to ensure a standardised approach to project delivery and reporting. This role will require the holder to demonstrate accomplished leadership and will be critical to the successful delivery of projects, many of which have significant national importance.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement a project management framework to support the tracking, management and documentation of projects.
- Proactively ensure the processes and procedures which form the company’s Project Management Framework (PMF) are adhered to, specifically relating to the project management lifecycle, and the major elements of project management comprising; project planning, financial reporting, tracking of delivery, document control, change control, risk management, quality and project governance.
- Drive the development and execution of projects medium- and long-term plans, giving careful consideration to throughput, capacity, timelines and dependencies.
- Supervision, management and support of the Project Manager(s) in successfully progressing projects and delivering the Business Plan.
- Coordinating the various aspects of recruitment, training, appraisal and supervision of the Project Management Group.
- Take operational responsibility for project budgets, ensuring all milestones and deliverables are met.
- Communicate with collaborators on matters affecting the project and resolve issues effectively to ensure project deliverables are met.
- Ensure the PMF is embedded with staff and manage the change of culture towards adherence to a defined project management methodology. Delivery of appropriate training and support to support this objective.
- Maintain, improve and continually develop the PMF.
- In conjunction with the Project Managers, work with the Laboratory Manager to accurately assess and assign appropriate laboratory resources to meet the needs of the active projects. Develop and maintain a prospective resource requirement to support strategic resourcing decisions by the Executive team.
- Act in a consultative/advisory role for projects as required.
- Directly manage allocated projects or sub-projects as required.
- Attend internal project review meetings and take accountability for the delivery of the project portfolio to plan
- Deputise for the Chief Operating Officer as Project Executive for smaller scale projects when appropriate.
- Support the organisation by ensuring project management aligns with the organisation’s quality requirements (ISO9001, GCLP and (future) ISO15189).
- Assist project managers in resolving project issues: be the first point of contact for escalation of project issues/conflicts.
- Liaise/work with Project Managers and Head of HR in relation to recruitment and/or training requirements for individual projects.
- Coordinate the development of project budgets in conjunction with the Head of Finance and Business Development Director. Monitor the continued management of project budgets throughout the project’s life cycle and escalate issues where appropriate.
- Work closely with the Finance Department to ensure project budgets are effectively controlled; develop and implement systems which provide project managers with the ability to accurately manage and forecast project spending
- Demonstrable experience of programme management, preferably using the Managing Successful Programmes methodology.
- Proven leadership experience in the programme and project management arena.
- Previous experience of developing and implementing a Project Management Framework into an organisation.
- Thorough knowledge and experience of the use of Project Management methodologies in the real world
- A scientific background, preferably with a BSc, with experience of working with academic collaborators.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel and Project.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience of working in a scientific environment.
- Experience and knowledge of SharePoint End User Administration.
- Experience of managing scientific projects.
- Experience in working with process automation in a production context
If this is of interest, please click apply now to forward your CV for consideration for the role. For more information please email or call Harvey in the Life Sciences team.