Tyne & Wear
£22,000 – £40,000 (Dependant on Experience)
Key Roles & Responsibilities
• Run, test and develop microfluidic diagnostic platforms
• Lead the development and testing of new DNA amplification and detection technology
• Design, develop and test new PCR based diagnostic assays
• Undertake performance analysis and validation of assays
• Work towards the goals of collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for some.
• Generate, record and present complex data, to line manager, colleagues, senior management and external partners.
• Attend lab, team and project meetings and present and report findings
• Write scientific plans and reports, SOPs, Risk assessments, COSHH forms.
• Manipulate and analyses datasets.
• Keep up to date with the literature on Point of care diagnostics, rapid PCR, infectious disease diagnostics and other relevant areas.
• Contribute to maintenance of the lab and equipment
Experience, knowledge and requirements
• A minimum of PhD in life sciences or equivalent experience in a non-academic setting
• Experience in the design and development and testing of diagnostic assays
• Detailed knowledge of nucleic acid amplification and detection chemistries, including significant hands on experience with qPCR
• Significant wet lab experience covering general molecular techniques
• Proven ability to take a leading role on multidisciplinary projects and ability to interact with external partners on fast paced projects
• Ability to work to the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards
• Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction
• Excellent work ethic and strong communication skills.
• Good sense of humour and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
• Knowledge of bioinformatics, statistics and data analysis including R, manipulation of sequence data, analysis of assay performance
• Several years’ experience in relevant areas such as product development, assay development, diagnostics, technology development.
• Previous experience in the design and development of diagnostic devices
• Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative projects with external partners
• Previous experience in the validation and verification of molecular diagnostic assays
• Knowledge and experience of microfluidics
• Experience with the manipulation and development of PCR chemistries for diagnostic tests
• Experience with the stabilization of PCR chemistry (eg lyophilisation)
• Knowledge of infectious diseases and their diagnosis.
• Experience of product development
• Knowledge and experience with fluorescence imaging and optics
• Knowledge of software languages eg Pearl, Python