Consultant: Leon Steed
Salary: £35000 - £40000
Job Status: Permanent / Full Time
Seven Animal Health has an exciting new role for a Head Registered Veterinary Nurse to work as a permanent member of staff within a well-established veterinary practice in Surrey.
I am working with a very well-established client that are seeking an experienced Head Nurse for its practice in Surrey. As Head Nurse you will be responsible and accountable for leading the Nursing and Auxiliary teams. You will be responsible for all aspects of the nursing and auxiliary team’s management to include, but not be limited to recruitment and selection, development, performance management, appraisal and absence management in line with Company policy. You will act as a role model to all clinical staff, demonstrating clinical and leadership credibility along with high profile visibility. You will also ensure a culture of high-level customer service is instilled in all members of the nursing and auxiliary teams. The role will also include you heading up the Heath and Safety within the hospital.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain professional nursing standards in accordance with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) guidelines
- Responsible for the supervision and management of the nursing team in accordance with professional and RCVS standards
- Manage nurses and nursing services (inc auxiliary team) by organising the duty rota according to activity/departmental need, anticipating when clinical activity increases/decreases, managing the forward planning of absences and the effective use of temporary staff, ensuring the correct skill mix is in place to deliver care.
- To provide consistent, clear, clinical and professional leadership and act as a mentor for all staff demonstrating professional awareness and accountability in care.
- To occasionally participate in the direct nursing care of patients as clinical leader and expert.
- To provide clinical training and mentoring to nursing and auxiliary staff.
- Ensuring clinical floor efficiency and seamless flow of patients through the hospital.
- Instil an inclusive culture of teamwork across the hospital
- Create a clear and effective two-way communication within the nursing team ensuring all team members are kept up to date.
- Develop and implement a structured induction programme for all new staff, ensuring that they have a named mentor (and deputy) available from the first day with whom they work closely
- Ensure the maintenance of the hospital in a safe and hygienic condition with effective monitoring procedures.
- Responsible for effectively creating, implementing and ensuring compliance to FR medicines management policies, including the undertaking of dangerous drugs audits.
- Ensure pain scores sheets and early intervention sheets are compliant and effectively used.
- Work in accordance with the FR protocols and policies.
- Ensure completion of CPD log / online tracker in accordance with RCVS requirements.
- Develop and implement a nursing strategy, reflecting the innovative ethos of FR and the challenges nursing faces.
- Identify service and policy development changes needed to ensure a continuing excellent service level and ensure implementation
- Ensure all nursing staff receive regular feedback on their performance; conducting annual appraisals and ensuring regular follow up on objectives throughout the year for all team members.
- Identify training needs of new and current team members, proposing appropriate resources to address these training requirements
- Ensure there is appropriate management, reporting and monitoring of sickness and absence in line with FR policy and that all the team have a full understanding of the policy (including return to work interviews).
- Lead the recruitment of nursing and auxiliary staff, ensuring establishment appropriately reflects the needs of the business.
- Understand and contribute to the improvement of the financial performance by implementing any required improvements and controls
- Responsible for the management of performance related issues and assisting in the resolution of grievance and disciplinary issues.
Responsible for the planning, facilitation and delivery of regular nurse/clinical meetings and ensuring actions are completed in a timely manner by all team members.
- Assist the Client Services Manager to respond to all client queries and complaints in a timely and efficient manner as per FR policy.
- Assist with the effective implementation and embedding of projects, initiatives and policy developments at the hospital within the required timescales
- Responsible for ensuring through the Auxiliary team, effective stock management and control and the undertaking of stock takes in accordance with FR policies.
- Ensure through the Auxiliary team that an up to date register of all equipment within the building is maintained, to include service contract information and that all maintenance is carried out on time and in line with manufacturers’ guidelines
- Work with the Hospital Director and Finance Manager to ensure nursing budget is reflective of needs and well managed.
- Lead by example and be instrumental in creating excellent working relationships both internally and externally.
- Contribute to plans for future growth.
- Support and participate in all local marketing and promotional events
Liaise and communicate with suppliers and company representatives.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range £35,000 to £40,000 per annum commensurate with qualification and experience
Competitive salary and benefits package, including PMI, Life assurance, Employee Assistance Programme, generous CPD allowance, workplace pension and free on-site parking
Permanent contract and full-time hours
Working with Seven Animal health:
Established in 2011, the award-winning Seven Animal Health is a leading provider of Veterinary professionals to Hospitals and Private Practices across the UK, Australia and USA. We provide both temporary and permanent solutions, working with every type and level of veterinary professional.
Seven Animal Health is the recruitment service that guarantees experienced, qualified and available staff exactly when you need them. Our expert talent acquisition team seamlessly connect professionals to all areas of animal health; including exotic, equine, small/large animals, and everything in between.
After winning UK Animal Health Recruitment Firm of the year (2018) at the Animal Health & Wellness Awards, we are proud of our nationwide reputation for providing a world-class recruitment service that is underpinned by honesty, integrity and attention to detail.
Refer a friend, family member or colleague for £250
If you’re not the perfect match for this role, but you know a Head Nurse who is, help them find their dream job by referring them to Seven Animal Health. As a little ‘thank you’ from us, you will receive £250 for every referral that is successfully placed into a new role.