By: Daniel Harrison-Pinder 5th February 2018

How to Prepare to Move to Australia for Work

If you’re a veterinary professional, you may well be aware of the Australian vet shortage currently hitting international headlines. According to reports from the Australian Veterinary Business Association conference, practices across the country are struggling to fill positions requiring veterinary professionals with three to five years’ clinical experience – especially those in rural areas where experience with livestock is necessary. For UK vets who fit the bill and who might be considering a move down under, the news gets even better: many practices are worried that salary offerings are currently too low to attract qualified vets so salaries are looking set to go up even higher for the right candidates.

It’s not just vets that are currently needed in Australia either, a national employment report indicates several roles in health care, data sciences and life sciences that are currently experiencing shortages.

If your profession is on the list and you’re tempted to start a new life, here’s everything you need to know about preparing to move to Australia for work:

  • Tailor your education – If you’ve yet to finish studying, it’s worth enquiring with your university as to whether you might be able to complete your last two years at an Australian uni as this will qualify you for a temporary graduate visa for 18 months after you graduate.
  • Make an expression of interest – If your profession is on the skilled occupations list, you might be able to make an official expression of interest to either the Australian government in general or to a particular state. If successful, this can grant you leave to move to Australia permanently.
  • Apply for a 457 – Perhaps the most common way most expats move to Australia is via a 457 – a visa which allows your employer to sponsor you for up to four years. 457 visas can be applied for by those whose profession appears on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List.
  • Get hired before you go – While it might seem tough to find employment on the other side of the world before you even get there, the alternative is much more tricky. Working holiday visas, for example, allow you to work in Australia for up to a year but restrict employers from hiring you for longer than six months at a time. You’ll also need to have an employer already in place and willing to sponsor you before you apply for your 457. Try to find companies with experience of sponsorship and be prepared to take part in a few late-night Skype interviews!

If your interest has been piqued and you’d like to find out more about living and working in Australia, we here at Seven have experience placing qualified professional in positions abroad. Contact us or check out our candidates page for more information.